Each winter, millions of Americans all across the country turn to their fireplaces for warmth and comfort during the season’s cold, dark nights. While fireplaces are a great way to stay warm and add some charm to your home, they also contribute to chimney fires and other serious safety issues. Every year, countless chimney fires and other health issues such as carbon monoxide poisoning cause thousands of preventable deaths and millions of dollars worth of damage to homes and properties in every corner of the United States. Here at HomePro Inspections, we offer extensive experience with home and property inspections, including fireplace and chimney inspections. To prevent chimney fires and other serious issues, read on for a few basic tips to keep in mind this winter.
Chimney safety is critical during the wintertime. Homeowners using fireplaces should keep these safety tips in mind during this time of the year:
- Have a professional safety inspection done on a regular basis year after year. This is a simple, yet very effective, way to prevent chimney fires and other hazards from needlessly endangering your life and property.
- Use a glass door or mesh wire screen in front of your fireplace.
- Keep any debris, paper, or other flammable material well away from your fireplace. This is especially important to keep in mind during the holidays, as holiday decorations too close to the fireplace can pose a serious safety hazard.
- Keep the area surrounding your chimney clear of any tree branches or any other potential fire hazards. Never place anything made of wood directly against the outside of the chimney.
- Cap your chimney with a mesh wire cap to prevent rain, snow, and animals from entering it.
- Don’t overuse your fireplace. Burning too much wood can cause creosote build-ups and even cause physical damage to the chimney itself.
How HomePro Can Help
HomePro Inspections offers the experience and professionalism you need to ensure fireplace and chimney safety in your home this winter. We offer professional residential inspections, commercial inspections, and environmental services, too.
Contact Us Today
For home and property inspections in the Jacksonville area, HomePro Inspections is the reliable, professional choice. Contact us today at (904) 268-8211 for additional information.
Photo Credit: Public Domain via Pixabay